The Beavers, Cubs, Scouts, Venturers and Rovers of the 6th Edmonton Scouts in Old Strathcona are holding a bottle drive this Saturday, Oct 21st. If you wish to contribute, but do not want a knock on your door, you can put bottles on your front step and the scouts will gratefully collect them.
Otherwise the youth will call on you for support on Saturday between 9:00am and 2:30pm. If you DO NOT wish to contribute, please tape the flyer that was left to your door, and you will not be disturbed.
You can also leave bottles with the collection truck in the parking lot of the SCCL community hall (10139 87 Ave) between 9am and 2pm.
For bottle emergencies, call Scouter Linda at 780-716-4168 or Scouter Jenn at 780-504-1820.
Reminder – pub night this Friday, Oct 20th – Scotch tasting. Brian Moffat will once again choose 4 brands of Scotch for you to try. We will also have beer, wine, coolers and pop available.
Upcoming pub nights:
- Friday, Nov 17th – Trivia night
- Friday, Dec 15th – Christmas pub night
Pub nights are held on the 3rd Friday of each month. They typically start at 8pm, but times can vary depending on the activity. Meet in the Lounge, upstairs at the Strathcona Community League – 10139 87 Ave (use south door).
Note: pub night is for community league members and invited guests. Memberships available on-site.
New – Music classes for kids 6 months to 3 years start on Friday, Oct 20th. (And don’t forget about our Kids’ Yoga and Kids’ Art Classes).
Baby music classes – Friday mornings (ages 6 mos-3 years)
- Fall session (8 classes): Oct 20 to Dec 15 (no class Nov 10th); 10:00 to 11:00am
- Cost: $96 for 8 week session
- Register: To register contact: Lara at email@example.com or 587-974-1283
- Description: This is a group music class for 0-3 year olds and their caregivers, with instructor Lara DeBeyer. We’ll sing, dance, listen, and play together! The class is intended to expose your little ones to the joy of music through songs, rhymes, and finger plays, to give them a basic, bodily understanding of rhythm, beat, pitch, and melody, and to build early confidence in a group setting. They’ll also get experience playing some basic percussion instruments like drum, woodblock, and glockenspiel in addition to singing and creative movement. I love teaching these classes, and I hope to see you there!! Class size is capped at 8 caregiver-child pairs.
Kids’ Yoga – Early Dismissal on Thursday Afternoons (ages 5 – 9). Starts Nov 9th:
- Late Fall session (6 classes): Nov 9 to Dec 14; 3:00 to 4:00
- Cost: $72 (or $60 for Community League members) for 6 week session
- Register: To register contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or call Tina at 587-341-7777, or Chandra at 780-700-7971
- Description: This is the perfect activity for early dismissal Thursdays! Kid’s yoga is a magical adventure that helps children develop important skills in a loving environment. It nurtures creativity, mental focus, body awareness, strength and coordination. And most importantly—it’s fun! Classes led by two certified kids’ yoga instructors from Yogi Kids.
After School Art Class for Kids (ages 6 and up)
- Late fall session – Learn To Make – Artist Trading Cards
- Wednesdays Nov 1st to 22nd (no class Nov 9th); 4:00 – 5:15, or
- Thursdays (early dismissal) Nov 2nd to 30th; 3:00 – 4:15 pm
- Cost: $80 (includes sketchbook and all materials)
- Requirement: Community League membership required (any league).
- Register: Contact Berna at email@example.com
- Description: Have fun! Learn from a professional art teacher! Make cool stuff! Join Berna Ponich B.Ed (KEE ARTIST IN RESIDENCE, 2013 – Present) at the hall for a four week art class. Class size is limited, so register early.